Using writing, as a social emotional learning tool, we help our writers to identify what they and others are feeling. Our focus is Social Emotional Learning. Not academic excellence. The thing is: our children need them BOTH to thrive in the 21st Century Workplace.
To succeed in life and in the workforce, children and adults need more than traditional academic skills. They need skills in communication, collaboration, and problem solving. During development and testing of Writing for the Soul Workshop™, we saw that there was a gap between the skills that students were learning and the skills that they needed.
It became obvious to us, that traditional learning was failing to empower students with the knowledge they need to thrive -not only in life, but in real time. A World Economic Forum report New Vision for Education: Fostering Social and Emotional Learning Through Technology confirms this.
Our mission is to provide vibrant opportunities through mentors, community partners and the resources packed within our program to youth that will encourage them to abstain from chemical abuse, pursue secondary education and become more self-reliant. We actively engage our mission each work day by:
- assisting parents with meeting the needs/challenges of breaking habits that are leading their child/ren into trouble in school and in the streets.
- offering writing as therapy.
- creating better writers, which in turn creates better readers.
- allowing our participants to “pay it forward” to other youth by submitting their stories for group publishing, and then giving them the training they need to earn money distributing their books, eBooks and audio books around the world.
So far, there is not another writing program like it that improves performance on state test results, reduces repeat juvenile offenders and strengthens the family nucleus – while stimulating our economy by creating tomorrow’s writers …today.
Better writers develop into better readers. Better readers do better in life. Providing students with hope and real tools for real life is our mission. To learn more about our program, click here: WFTSW FAQ’s Guide.
Our focus is the growing number of young people who are either falling through the cracks at school, or are already entangled with the court system and are at-risk for taking the wrong path in life.
We’re working to identify youths who are going to have a turbulent transition into adulthood and offer a positive support system to avoid the pitfalls that can derail their lives. The focus is slightly different at each level but the goal remains the same; empower the individual to make positive changes in his/her life.
Our Outcomes and Indicators
When students and adults engage Writing for the Soul Workshop™ in its fullest capacity, here is a list of our program’s Outcomes and Indicators:
- Effective expression of thoughts and feelings
- Increased assertiveness in social context
- Improved resilience
- Increased planning skills, time management, resourcefulness and realistic goal setting
- Increased accountability and/or sense of personal responsibility
- Increased sense of purpose and self-direction
- Regulate and manage emotions
- Expanded global and cultural awareness
Leadership and Civic Engagement
- Increased ability and interest to lead others or activities
- Increased awareness of issues that impact life and community
- Increased action and engagement on specific issues affecting life and community
- Increased ability to work with others to accomplish goals
- Increased ability to work with diverse individuals and groups
- More positive interaction with peers
- More positive interaction with peers
Increased Positive Behavior
- Increased violence prevention and reduced juvenile crime
- Reduced or no incidence of illegal behavior
- Reduced or no gang activity
Prepared for Higher Education and Employment
- Increased knowledge of college choices
- Increased awareness of and interest in careers and employment pathways
- Increased demonstration of job readiness skills
- Increased digital and media literacy
Nomatter where we offer Writing for the Soul Workshop™, the impact is the same. Here’s a video testimonial from Fort Worth’s Gang Intervention Unit after observing and interacting with students at Metro Opportunity High while accessing Writing for the Soul Workshop™: